Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Yad Vashem

Today Callan, Austin, Char and I went to Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust museum.  Intense.  I am sufficiently exhausted, physically and mentally.  There are no pictures as they would not allow photos to be taken.  Powerful stuff though.

I learned a lot.  There were a lot of details that I wasn’t aware of, the intricacies of the war, ideologies, and politics.  I heard lots of personal accounts that made my flesh crawl.  It gave me a much deeper compassion for the Israeli’s, a deeper understanding of their heritage as a people group.  It helps me to understand their lack of trust and seemingly fear for security. 

I’m conflicted… it helps to validate the reason they came here, but I still struggle with their actions toward the Palestinians.  Indeed, I have now a better compassion for both sides, but my prayers are that the Israeli government would be wary of committing the same acts against their neighbors as were committed on them.

It makes one want to pray.  For peace. 

Also, one can’t help but wonder what Israeli youth will think of it a few generations from now, when first and second hand accounts have died off… hopefully growing up in the privilege of the country won’t numb their senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment